Eric Geiger knows a thing or two about what it’s like to follow a legend. We’ve all had to step into a role where we’ve felt like we’ve had big shoes to fill, so I hope you’ll appreciate his incredible insights as much as I did. Eric is the Senior Pastor at Mariners Church in Irvine, California. He’s also authored several books, including Simple Church (co-written with Thom Rainer).
In this episode, we talk about what it was like for Eric to take over for Kenton Beshore, a pastoral legend, and how he led Mariners through the COVID-19 pandemic. Then, we discuss the research that prompted him to write Simple Church and the one thing Eric hopes to change about how the Church does discipleship.
Introduction – 0:00
- What led Eric to become a pastor?
- How did Simple Church come to be?
- How did Eric see people simplifying their strategy as a result of those findings? What worked and what didn’t?
Eric’s time at Lifeway – 11:20
- What was his role at Lifeway?
- How did his time at Lifeway impact his transition back into pastoral leadership?
Eric’s transition to Mariners – 20:03
- How did Eric’s transition to Mariners Church happen?
- What was it like to follow a legend?
- What did Eric feel was the most pressing thing to do as soon as he stepped into his new role?
Looking towards the future – 32:52
- What does Eric see as the future of church gathering post-COVID?
- How does Mariners Church navigate their church structure with elders?
- Eric’s Website
- Simple Church by Thom S. Rainer & Eric Geiger
- John Stott – Kenton Beshore’s Theological Mentor
- The Cross of Christ by John Stott
- Christian Mission in the Modern World by John Stott
- Between Two Worlds: The Challenge of Preaching Today by John Stott
- The First 90 Days by Michael D. Watkins
- A Beautiful Constraint by Adam Morgan & Mark Barden
About Our Guest
Eric Geiger is the Senior Pastor of Mariners Church in Irvine, California. Before moving to Southern California, Eric served as senior vice-president for LifeWay Christian Resources. Eric received his doctorate in leadership and church ministry from Southern Seminary.
Eric has authored or co-authored several books including the best selling church leadership book, Simple Church. Eric is married to Kaye, and they have two daughters: Eden and Evie. During his free time, Eric enjoys dating his wife, taking his daughters to the beach, and playing basketball.